In recent years, Waukee teachers have focused extensively on differentiated instruction. Teachers regularly assess students to see where they are in their understanding of key standards. Teachers then modify the content, the method used to teach a concept, or the way students represent their learning to better meet all students’ learning needs. If students are struggling to learn a concept, teachers provide them further instruction and the support they need to truly learn and understand the concept. Students who already demonstrate an understanding of the concept are provided ample opportunities to learn more difficult and more challenging content at their learning level.
As a result of our increased academic rigor and our teachers’ implementation of differentiated instruction, Waukee students’ achievement has skyrocketed. In an effort to better meet students’ learning needs advanced or accelerated course options are available to students in reading and math.
Advanced Language Arts:
- Provides a rigorous, academic curriculum that promotes high levels of student effort and academic achievement.
- Provides stimulating intellectual challenges and meaningful academic accomplishment.
- Creates a community of peers who value scholarship, academic achievement, and creativity.
- Differentiates curriculum and instruction that includes, but is not limited to, increased rigor and appropriate pace.
- Supports learning in the company of intellectual peers.
- Engages students in complex and in-depth reading and writing experiences.