Coronavirus: Health Information for Families & Staff
Governor Reynolds has announced an extension of the statewide school closure through April 30. Waukee Community School District (WCSD) would like to provide families and staff with an update on COVID-19, commonly referred to as Coronavirus and share some additional information about steps the school district is taking as well as steps you can take to help prevent the spread of viruses.
Thank you for your support and partnership as we work together to maintain a healthy learning environment.
WHAT WCSD IS DOING
WCSD is in regular contact with the Dallas County Public Health and the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH), and follow guidelines and best practices from those entities and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) when it comes to responding to public health concerns, including Coronavirus and the flu.
In recent weeks, WCSD has reviewed and updated our Pandemic Response Plan. We have also reviewed our cleaning and disinfecting guidelines for schools, to help prevent the spread of viruses, and have increased our inventory of cleaning and safety supplies should they become necessary.
WCSD will continue to monitor the situation with county and state health officials. Should Iowa’s status change, the district will turn to IDPH and the CDC and follow any updated guidelines.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
Review good hygiene with your family to help keep them safe. Examples of some routine, everyday preventive actions to lessen the spread of viruses include:
- If a student or staff member is sick, do not come to school.
- Cover your mouth with your upper arm or a tissue when coughing or sneezing
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Stay informed and look for information on this virus and situation from reliable and trusted expert sources: