In the event that severe weather conditions dictate the need to delay the beginning of school or cancel school entirely, the following procedures will be used:
- The superintendent and chief operating officer (COO) monitor weather forecasts.
- Prior to 5 a.m., the superintendent and members of the operation team drive the district routes to determine if travel is safe.
- Consultation occurs with Des Moines and other neighboring school systems.
- In consultation with the COO and/or the superintendent, a decision is normally made by no later than 5:30 a.m. to delay the beginning of the school day by one hour or two hours, or to cancel school.
- If the decision is made to delay the beginning of the school day, conditions may change enough to warrant cancellation. The decision to cancel school following a decision to delay will usually be made by 6:30 a.m. and no later than 7 a.m.
How families and staff are contacted:
We will use the following methods to communicate to families and staff during an emergency:
SchoolMessenger (email, text & phone): We will provide updated information as it becomes available to all parents and staff using the contact information in PowerSchool. SchoolMessenger fully integrates with PowerSchool, so there is no list for parents to sign up for, however, for parents to receive a text message parents must complete the opt-in process.