Our mission at Waukee Community Preschool is to provide a quality, age-appropriate early childhood education that nurtures every child as an individual, empowers every child as a learner, and celebrates each child’s talents and abilities. The Waukee Community Preschool is designed to be a two-year program with one year for 3-year-olds and a second year for 4-year-olds. Please note that our preschool is made up of a combination of children with disabilities (children served through special education programming) as well as children without identified disabilities.
We will be opening a Preschool Center in the fall of 2021 at what is currently the Vince Meyer Learning Center. All of our current preschool programs will be moving to this exciting facility for the upcoming school year. Take a look at the Board Presentation to get a glimpse of this new space for our youngest learners.
Our Daily Activities
- Sensory Time
- Opening (Calendar and Songs)
- Play/Centers Time
- Literacy, Story, Table Activity
- Snack/Bathroom Break
- Recess (Gross Motor)
Community Preschool Enrollment
- All preschool classes will take place at the Vince Meyer Learning Center located at 400 Locust Street, Waukee, IA 50263
- Families must live in the Waukee Community School District to be eligible to attend.
- Families will not come to the District Administration Office to register.
- The online application for 2021-2022 community preschool opens at 10:00 a.m. on December 2, 2020.
3-year-old Morning Class
- 4 days per week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday)
- Child must be 3-years-old by Sept. 15, 2021
- 9:00-11:30 a.m.
- $220 deposit required (if a spot is offered)
- $220 monthly tuition
- Need-based scholarship opportunities are available through 4Rkids Early Childhood Iowa Preschool Enrichment
4-year-old Afternoon Class
- 4 days per week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday)
- Child must be 4-years-old by Sept. 15, 2021
- 1:00-3:30 p.m.
- This program is funded through the Statewide Voluntary Preschool Grant which allows families to attend tuition-free.
Note: The PM program is for children in the year immediately preceding their kindergarten year. Also, due to current 3-year-olds moving to the 4-year-old class in the fall, there will be very few 4-year-old spots available.
The online application for community preschool opens at 10:00 a.m. on December 2, 2020.
- All applications are completed online. The application site will open promptly at 10:00 a.m. on December 2, 2020. That morning interested parents should visit the Waukee Community School District website. Information about community preschool is available under the Enroll menu or by clicking the circle graphic link on the front page of the website.
- Families will then click on the Community Preschool Registration link.
- As is the case every year, there will be very few 4-year-old (PM) slots since the current 3-year-olds will have the opportunity to roll forward to a PM slot for the fall of 2021. There may be, for example, only nine or ten 4-year-old slots for the fall. As for 3-year-old (AM) slots, there may be 50 to 60 slots depending on how many preschool teachers are on staff in the fall.
- As each family completes the online application process, the date and time of each submission will be recorded. Both 3 and 4-year-old slots will be filled based on these stamps. For example, if there are 50 slots available for 3-year-old preschool, the first 50 submissions will be considered for placement. The same system will apply to 4-year-old students. NOTE: All requested information must be filled out and criteria met for an application to be considered. Applications with missing or invalid information will not be considered.
- Student Services will begin contacting families the second week of January 2021, offering placement for the 2021-22 school year.
- Contact will only be made to families that will be offered placement in our preschool. Please note: Families not receiving a spot will automatically be placed on a waiting list according to the date and time stamp in the event openings should occur at a later date.
Please know that on Wednesday, December 2, 2020, when you are completing the online application, you will need to have the following information available, in addition to personal information such as names, address, phone numbers, doctor’s name and phone number, dentist’s name and phone number, etc:
Supplemental School Health Report
- Does your child have new glasses/lenses?
- Did your child have an illness or accident during the last summer?
- Did your child have any immunizations during the last summer?
- Is your child allergic to any medication, food, bee stings or environmental allergens?
- Does your child have a medical diagnosis of a chronic health condition such as diabetes, asthma, heart problems, seizures, etc?
- Does your child have any special medical considerations?
- Does your child take medication(s) on a regular basis?
Emergency Contacts (other than Parents/Guardian)
- First Name
- Last Name
- Relationship to Student
- Home Phone (Can be the same as the cell phone)
- Cell Phone
- Work Phone
Once a placement is offered and accepted, to ensure your space is reserved families will be allowed three business days to submit the following required documentation to the District Administration Office, 560 SE University, Waukee, IA 50263.
- Proof of Residency
- Homeowners will need a copy of the most recently paid property tax bill, a copy of recent mortgage statement, or print-out from the Dallas County Assessor’s Site.
- Renters will need a copy of the lease agreement signed by both tenant and landlord.
- If an offer has been made on a home a copy of the purchase agreement, as well as a completed Permission to Enroll Out of District Students Application.
- If recently closed on a home a copy of the settlement statement.
- Copy of Immunization Record or Immunization Exemption Certificate
- For the 3-year-old program only – A $220.00 non-refundable deposit, which will be applied to the first month’s tuition and will be deposited upon acceptance of the preschool slot. Checks should be made out to the Waukee Community School District