Our mission at Waukee Community Preschool is to provide a quality, age-appropriate early childhood education that nurtures every child as an individual, empowers every child as a learner, and celebrates each child’s talents and abilities. The Waukee Community Preschool is designed to be a two-year program; one year for 3-year-olds and a second year for 4-year-olds. Please note that our preschool is made up of a combination of children with disabilities (children served through special education programming) as well as children without identified disabilities.
Our Daily Activities
- Sensory Time
- Opening (Calendar and Songs)
- Play/Centers Time
- Literacy, Story, Table Activity
- Snack/Bathroom Break
- Recess (Gross Motor)
FAQ for 2020-21
What type of instruction will be provided?
- Waukee will be providing both in-person and online educational opportunities for our preschool students. For more in-depth information on what a preschool day will look like, please click on the link to our preschool orientation information. Preschool Orientation 2020
What is the first day of class?
- September 8, 2020
What supplies are needed?
- 2020-2021 Preschool Supply List-3 year old class
- 1 package of glue sticks (prefer purple glue or blue glue)
- 1 bottle white glue
- 1 set of 8 count watercolor paint
- 1” white 3-ring binder
- 1 pair of spring-loaded child sized scissors
- 1 four-pack of Play-doh
- 1 plastic folder
- 1 pack of dry erase markers
- 1 box of large crayons (8pk)
- 1 pack of Pipsqueak markers
- 1 regular-sized backpack (no wheels)
- 2020-2021 Preschool Supply List-4 year old class
- 1 backpack large enough to fit a folder (no wheels)
- 1 plastic folder
- 1” white 3-ring binder (if you were in Waukee preschool last year you may bring the same binder and your 4’s teacher will add to it)
- Send a change of seasonal clothing with their name on it (keep in backpack)
When is orientation?
- We were scheduled to have a Waukee Preschool Orientation back in May; however, with our current situation we are not able to meet in person. Therefore, the preschool team has put together a virtual presentation as a replacement to the in-person orientation. At this time, I invite you to click on this link and learn just a little bit more about Waukee’s preschool and what you can expect for the 2020-21 school year.
Will students be required to wear a mask?
- Yes – with the exception of those who cannot due to medical or other reasons. Mask protocols are outlined in the district’s Return to Learn Plan
What other steps are being taken to ensure my child’s safety for returning to school with COVID?
- Please refer to the district’s Return to Learn Plan linked above
Is Transportation Provided?
- No. Parents are expected to make their own travel arrangements.
If Waukee is using an online school platform can my child register for that now?
- Even with an online component to our preschool, class sizes will remain the same as in-person learning. Vacant spots will be filled from the waitlisted applications that have already been submitted.
Community Preschool Enrollment
- Families must live in the Waukee Community School District to be eligible to attend.
- Families will not come to the District Administration Office to register.
- The online application for community preschool begins at 10 a.m. on Dec. 4, 2019.
3-year-old Morning Class
- 4 days a week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday)
- Child MUST be 3-years-old by Sept. 15, 2020
- 9-11:30 a.m.
- $180 deposit required if a spot is offered
- $180 monthly tuition
- Need-based scholarship opportunities are available through 4Rkids Early Childhood Iowa Preschool Enrichment
4-year-old Afternoon Class
- 4 days a week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday)
- Child MUST be 4-years-old by Sept. 15, 2020
- 1-3:30 p.m.
- This program is funded through the Statewide Voluntary Preschool Grant which allows families to attend tuition-free.
Note: The PM program is for children in the year immediately preceding their kindergarten year. Also, due to current 3-year-olds moving to the 4-year-old class in the fall, there will be very few 4-year-old slots.
The online application for community preschool begins at 10 a.m. on Dec. 4, 2019.
- All applications are completed online. The application site will open promptly at 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, December 4, 2019. That morning interested parents should visit the Waukee Community School District website. Information about community preschool is available under the Enroll menu or by clicking the circle graphic link on the front page of the website.
- Families will then click on the Community Preschool Registration link.
- As is the case every year, there will be very few 4-year-old (PM) slots since the current 3-year-olds will have the opportunity to roll forward to a PM slot for the fall of 2020. There may be, for example, only nine or ten 4-year-old slots for the fall. As for 3-year-old (AM) slots, there may be 50 to 60 slots depending on how many preschool teachers are on staff in the fall.
- As each family completes the online application process, the date and time of each submission will be recorded. Both 3 and 4-year-old slots will be filled based on these stamps. For example, if there are 50 slots available for 3-year-old preschool, the first 50 submissions will be considered for placement. The same system will apply to 4-year-old students. NOTE: All requested information must be filled out and criteria met for an application to be considered. Applications with missing or invalid information will not be considered.
- Student Services will notify families beginning the second week of January 2020, confirming they will be offered placement for 2020-21. As families are called, per the date and time stamp, slots and building location will be offered accordingly.
- Calls will only be made to families that will be offered placement in one of our preschool sites. Please note: Families not receiving a spot will automatically be placed on a waiting list according to the date and time stamp in the event openings should occur at a later date.
Please know that on Wednesday, December 4, 2019, when you are completing the online application, you will need to have the following information available, in addition to personal information such as names, address, phone numbers, etc:
Supplemental School Health Report
- Does your child have new glasses/lenses?
- Did your child have an illness or accident during the last summer?
- Did your child have any immunizations during the last summer?
- Is your child allergic to any medication, food, bee stings or environmental allergens?
- Does your child have a medical diagnosis of a chronic health condition such as diabetes, asthma, heart problems, seizures, etc?
- Does your child have any special medical considerations?
- Does your child take medication(s) on a regular basis?
Emergency Contacts (other than Parents/Guardian)
- First Name
- Last Name
- Relationship to Student
- Home Phone (Can be the same as the cell phone)
- Cell Phone
- Work Phone
Once a placement is offered and accepted, to ensure your space is reserved families will be allowed three business days to submit the following required documentation to the District Administration Office, 560 SE University, Waukee, IA 50263.
- Proof of Residency
- Homeowners will need a copy of the most recently paid property tax bill, a copy of recent mortgage statement, or print-out from the Dallas County Assessor’s Site.
- Renters will need a copy of the lease agreement.
- If an offer has been made on a home a copy of the purchase agreement, as well as a completed Permission to Enroll Out of District Students Application.
- If recently closed on a home a copy of the settlement statement.
- Copy of Immunization Record or Immunization Exemption Certificate
- For the 3-year-old program only – A $180.00 non-refundable deposit, which will be applied to the first month’s tuition and will be deposited upon acceptance of the preschool slot. Checks should be made out to the Waukee Community School District