Waukee’s Legally Blonde: The Musical Receives 21 Honors & Triple Threat Award from IHSMTA
The Iowa High School Musical Theater Awards (IHSMTA) recently announced their list of awards for their state-wide program; a panel of four adjudicators determined that Waukee High School’s recent production of Legally Blonde: The Musical earned 21 honors and the Female Triple Threat Award, making it one of the most awarded productions in Iowa.
“Practicing and performing Legally Blonde: The Musical was so much fun. It was honestly the most fun I had during any production throughout high school. The show, character and songs were so upbeat and hilarious and they kept energy high at all rehearsals,” said senior Averi Baudler (Paulette). “The cast and crew were also super close so it was really enjoyable because everyone loved everyone.”
Three Waukee High School students qualified for the Triple Threat competition- Averi Baudler (12), Will Adams (11) and Marisa Spahn (11). The students were invited to audition based on their acting, vocal and dancing talents in their school production. Beginning Friday, June 2-4, the students participated in a ‘Broadway Bootcamp’ with a guest Broadway Music Director and guest Broadway Choreographer. The three auditioned in front of collegiate adjudicators and learned music for a Triple Threat medley that was performed at the Awards Concert.
At the end of awards night, only two students were named winners of the Triple Threat Award. Waukee’s Marisa Spahn was honored the Female Triple Threat Award and will receive an all-expense paid 10-day trip to New York City June 19-27, where she will compete in the National High School Musical Theater Awards on a Broadway stage. Last years Female Triple Threat Award winner was Waukee’s Poni Lejukole (‘16 graduate).
“I have been performing my whole life so I don’t get nervous anymore, it’s more like second nature to me,” said Spahn. “It is incredible that I will have the chance to meet Broadway performers and directors in New York, and I can’t wait for the experience of competing in the National High School Musical Theater Awards on a Broadway stage.”
Spahn’s future plans include attending a college for music in either New York or Pennsylvania, with her long-term goal of performing on Broadway. Baudler will be attending Iowa State University in the fall to study Communication while also singing in the colleges choir. Adams does not plan on continuing a career or education in Theater but will keep his passion for performing.
WAUKEE IHSMTA AWARDS RECEIVED:
- Outstanding Musical Production
- Outstanding Ensemble
- Outstanding Student Orchestra
- Outstanding Community Engagement
- Special Recognition for Dedication to Accessible Arts Opportunities
- Outstanding Achievement in Publicity: Hanid Valdez (12), Jacob Roush (12), Kaitlyn Brewton (11), Dylan Smith (12), Peyton Soethout (10), Abbi Janes (10)
- Outstanding Achievement in Costume Design: Ella Titus (11) & Emily Pajazetovic (11)
- Outstanding Achievement in Hair and Makeup: Abbi Lesnick (10), Lanie Weber (10), Paris Schnell (11)
- Outstanding Achievement in House Management: Rebecca Lienemann (10)
- Outstanding Performance in a Principal Role: Marisa Spahn (11) as “Elle Woods”
- Outstanding Performance in a Principal Role: Will Adams (11) as “Emmett”
- Outstanding Performance in a Principal Role: Averi Baudler (12) as “Paulette”
- Outstanding Performance in a Principal Role: Alayna Verduyn (11) as “Brooke Wyndham”
- Outstanding Performance in a Principal Role: Emma Garrett (12) as “Enid Hoopes”
- Special Recognition for Performance in a Principal Role: Cooper Vittetoe (12) as “Professor Callahan”
- Special Recognition for Performance in a Principal Role: Zoe Sneed (12) as “Vivienne”
- Special Recognition for Performance in a Principal Role: Jacob Thompson (12) as “Warner”
- Special Recognition for Stage Management: Brittany Hunt (11), Ga-Young Kim (11), Maggie McClellan (12), Dani Schmaltz (11)
- Special Recognition for Assistant Choreography: Taylor Manning (12)
- Special Recognition for Properties: Drew Elles (11), Jessica Durbala (11), Jessie Jost (11), Mitchell Pollitt (10), Reuben Garza (10)
- Invited Assistant Stage Manager for the Iowa High School Musical Theater Awards Ceremony: Maggie McClellan (12)