Team Earns Third Place Finish at 2019 Iowa High School Quiz Bowl Championship
A Waukee High School quiz bowl team earned a third-place finish in the Open Division at the 2019 Iowa High School Quiz Bowl Championship on March 30, 2019. Eleven teams competed in the Open Division for their chance to advance to the National Championship Tournament in May. Additionally, one Waukee High School’s JV teams finished third in the JV Division at that same event held at Central Campus in Des Moines.
Quiz Bowl is a game of knowledge in which students answer toss-up questions (for which they use a buzzer) and bonus questions (which are usually related to the same topic and they can collaborate as a team). The questions come from literature, science, history, fine arts, geography, mythology, mathematics, and many others.
“This particular year was VERY successful. We had over 30 students participating in practices and tournaments and all of them enjoyed the game and want to get better. With the success of our JV team, I’m looking forward to coaching them in the coming years and hopefully earning a spot a Nationals,” said Quiz Bowl coach Jay Winter.
Individual tournament results this year were as follows:
- Miranda Basart, Sai Rayasam, and Saihishnu Duvvuri were finalists at the Iowa Quiz Bowl League Solo Challenge
- 1st Place – Winter Open (JV Team took 2nd Place in the JV Division)
- Qualified for “Grand View Quiz Bowl” airing on Mediacom 22
- 2nd Place at the Iowa History Bowl
- Jace Cahalan was 3rd Place at the Iowa History Bee
- Miranda Basart and Saihishnu Duvvuri were voted by the coaches as 1st Team Iowa All-State Honor