Waukee High School to Participate in 2019 Iowa High School Musical Theater Awards Showcase
Waukee High School’s theater department will participate in the 2019 Iowa High School Musical Theater Awards Showcase, presented by EMC Insurance Companies, in honor of the school’s achievements for its April production of Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Cinderella.
Produced by Des Moines Performing Arts as the culmination of a year-long education initiative, the Showcase will be held at the Des Moines Civic Center on Monday, June 3 at 7:00 p.m. and will recognize a total of 77 schools from across the entire state.
Select students – Kai Griffin, Jordan Kinney, and Megan Petsche – will represent Waukee High School by performing in a collaborative inter-school medley led by a guest Broadway music director and choreographer.
Mackenzie Devoto, Jaden Kern, and Brady Welch will also audition for the opportunity to represent Iowa at the National High School Musical Theater Awards in New York City this summer as part of the Triple Threat Award program.
Waukee High School will also be recognized with the following awards and honors:
- Outstanding Musical Production (the top award given)
- Outstanding Ensemble
- Outstanding Student Orchestra
- Outstanding Community Engagement
- Outstanding Lighting Design – Lily Dosedel, Emily Durbala & Jackson Tormey
- Outstanding Sound Design & Operation – Colin Kiernan & Madison Muhlbauer
- Outstanding Communications – Charlie Darveau, Rebecca Lienemann, Mitchell Pollitt & Lanie Weber
- Outstanding Hair, Make-Up & Costume Design – Caty Henriksen, Mary McGraw & Holly Rankin
- Outstanding Front of House Management – Tyler Schutt & Kathryn Shumaker
- Outstanding Performance in a Principal Role – Mackenzie Devoto as “Marie”
- Outstanding Performance in a Principal Role – Jaden Kern as “Charlotte”
- Outstanding Performance in a Principal Role – Brady Welch as “Topher”
- Special Recognition for Dedication to Accessible Arts Opportunities
- Special Recognition for Performance as Featured Dancers – Parker Breit, Elizabeth Fischbach, Kai Griffin, Natalie Grote, Keaton Kelly, Jordan Kinney, Darby Marsh, Melanie Merhar, Andrew O’Connell, Mitchell Pollitt, Sydney Rippin & James Tormey as the Waltzers in “Ten Minutes Ago”
- Special Recognition for Performance in a Principal Role – Charlie Darveau as “Sebastian”
- Special Recognition for Performance in a Principal Role – Reece Harmsen as “Ella”
- Special Recognition for Performance in a Principal Role – Powell Hauber as “Jean-Michel”
- Special Recognition for Performance in a Principal Role – Kyah Sneed as “Gabrielle”
Tickets to the Showcase, which start at $15, will go on sale on Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 9 a.m. at DMPA.org, the Civic Center Ticket Office, and by phone at 515-246-2300. The Awards Showcase will also be live-streamed at IPTV.org as part of a collaboration with Iowa Public Television. IPTV will air a highlight special of the evening later this summer.