WCSD Meal Distribution Update – Back Open 5/21!
We’ve all experienced challenges during these past two months. We have also all started to see examples of resilience and the ability to bounce back after a setback. Waukee CSD nutrition staff, with the support of organizations like Drew’s Crews and the Waukee Foundation, have served over 68,000 meals, delivered thousands of children’s books, and distributed over 15,000-weekend meals from Meals from the Heartland…all since March 23.
As you know, this past Monday we needed to temporarily suspend our meal distribution at our three sites. While the infected employee never had direct contact with families or food we took extra steps to do the following out an abundance of caution:
- We cleaned, sanitized, and disinfected all food production areas.
- All employees who came into contact with the infected employee are spending the appropriate amount of time in self-isolation.
- We took time to train additional staff to resume meal distribution. All staff who will be onsite for meal production and distribution were not in contact with the infected employee.
- All three existing locations (Waukee HS, Windfield Apartments, and Sun Prairie Apartments) will be back open on May 21.
- One change to Waukee HS – grab and go location will be on the westside of WHS.
- Distribution times will remain 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. at WHS and 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. at Sun Prairie and Windfield Apartments.
- We will not distribute meals on Memorial Day (May 25).
- Nearly all food distributed is prepackaged and all of our staff wear gloves and protective masks from production to distribution.
- Per the CDC, the transmission of COVID-19 through food, food packages, or even food handlers has not been identified as a risk factor for this illness.
There is nothing more important to us than the safety and health of our students, our staff, and our families.